Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

why beaners love breakfast

Jenny Bertram and her sweet handsome hubby ( who I just met...again) invited the messerclan out for some tastiness at Beans N Barley. Immediately, I knew that I would be ordering the black bean tostadas with extra tomato, no scallion, with toamatillo green salsa.

Yes, it was before 9 a.m. and yes, I had it with a side of guacamole and Spanish rice and the lords cheeeeps. (see nacho libre for the reference.)

My hubbaloo did the usual blushing/eye roll when I asked the waitress if I could have lunch. He will never join me in my need for all things "lunchy" in the early morning. I also had a blue sky cola and an "orange rabbit" juice.

I used to work for the landmark theatres in my single days and would eat this same meal about 4 days a week, spending about 60% of my very low wage earnings at the time to pay for this glorious foodiness.

It has been well over a year since I ordered it, and thankfully, the meal has remained delicious in it's simplicity.



Why in the world would I eat sweets for breakfast when I could have salsa be a part of the meal?Both jenny and her hubby (whom I hope to meet again someday, for the first time) had the huevos ala cubana.....a meal I eat in my home about once a week when I have off in the morning.
scrambled eggs
black beans
salsa
tortillas
chorrizo (when I can find it)
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!
It is so nice to eat food that doesn't put you into a carbohydrate coma. I'm not sure what I enjoy more, the actual eating of the food, or the act of preparing it. Cooking these old favorites bring a flood of sensory memory with them. I am always happy to be making beans and eggs for breakfast.
My hubby talked and talked all morning long, to the point where I actually thought he was talking too much and so darn fast, I was feeling a bit dizzy. ( I am a VERY fast talker, so this is probably the 3rd time I have thought he was too fast for me)
Jenny has a face with a smile that is beaming and beautiful, like sunshine after a cloudy day. It was soothing and relaxing to be in the presence of a person who did not feel the need to complain, bitch and/or moan about a single thing. Her husband also had a calming effect. Someday, I hope to meet him.
the children grazed on delicious wheatcakes and MIN (mallory) had a face full of guacamole...it is fun to watch her make faces when she is acclimating her tongue to a new flavor or texture of food.
My old favorites from the grocery store were also available...vegan cupcakes form east side ovens, and poppy seed cake with butter cream frosting. I took some home for later and look forward to enjoying them, as I remember the crazy days of working at the movie house.
A special thanks to Jenny and her husband (even thought I have yet to meet him) for treating us to breakfast...had I known she was paying I would not have ordered all those tasty extras, but I can honestly say I do not feel guilty for doing so. Jenny and her husband have the aura of doing a good deed for the simple enjoyment of sharing the love.
I have not known jenny for that long, and I have NEVER met her husband, but I feel as if I have known her before, somehow...maybe we were pet iguanas to some strange old man one thousand years ago. I think she probably makes a wonderful sister and a all-around good friend. I hope to call her up soon and see her or her husband at their office to work on some foot pain I have been dealing with for about a year.
Better yet, it would be nice to have them over again....our last meal(feast!) was wonderful as we dined on pasta salads overflowing with fresh garlic and pine nuts, salsa, dip and cheeeps, and a dessert fit for a king...homemade chocolate mousse and fresh cool strawberries.
Anytime youse kids feel like swinging by the Messerpad, let us know. I can whip up the spinach penne pasta salad in a flash. same thing goes for any of you other friends out there!

3 comments:

karmadog said...

Couple comments:

1. Jeff talks faster than anyone I've ever met.

2. Jenny's husband is a dish. We should all go berry-pickin'. I'll introduce you.

Jeffrey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
supermiffy said...

he may talk fast, but he talks pretty nice.

yeah, i hear Jennhy's hubby is a cute one too.
can't wait to meet him